In-N-Out Burger is a beloved fast-food chain that started out in Baldwin Park, California in 1948. Why is it beloved? The taste, the prices, and the quality. My Dad is such a big fan of In N Out that it is the first place he likes to visit when he comes out to the west coast. In LA County there are over 74 locations so regardless of where you are you will most likely be able to get to an In N Out. The In N Out Museum located in Baldwin Park is a replica of the original location that is so cool to check out.
We recently recorded an episode of the LA Dreaming Podcast where we shared all about In N Out. You can listen to the podcast through Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, or Podbean.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and buy something, I will earn a small commission from the advertiser at no additional cost to you.
The In N Out museum is a replica of the original location. This hidden gem is bound to be a hit with both California foodies and Instagrammers alike. The original In N Out location was located in Baldwin Park, California. That location was torn down due to the construction of the 10. In honor of the place where the beloved burger chain got its start, an In N Out replica was built as a way for fans to learn more about the history of the company. The replica is not in the same place as the original In N Out. However, it is built to look just like the original and will truly make you feel like you’ve stepped back in time. The most expensive thing on the menu at the replica is a cheeseburger for .30¢.
The original In N Out museum was opened in 2014 and is located at 13766 Francisquito Avenue in Baldwin Park. The hours of operation are Thursday through Sunday 11 am-2 pm. If you come at any other time you will find a closed gate.
There are several parking spots in the lot which makes visiting a breeze. There isn’t too much to see here but, it is still worth a visit for In N Out fans. I was able to speak with a worker during my visit who shared a lot of interesting information. The inside is tiny and the worker explained to us that six people would work at one time. It was really interesting to hear her speak about the mission of the company. She shared with us how important quality is to In N Out. My Grandpa was loving every second of our conversation with her. He is already looking forward to returning with my Dad and Uncle when they come to visit.
Once you’re finished taking pictures and learning about history you can drive down the street to have lunch at a working In N Out. In the same parking lot, you will find the In N Out University where the training for employees takes place. There is also an In N Out company store where you can find fun merchandise.
In N Out Fun Facts
- Crossed Palm Trees – to me the palm trees are such a perfect fit for In N Out. But, the story behind why almost every location has crossed palm trees is really cool. The owner, Harry Snyder, loved the movie It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. In that movie, people are looking for treasure under crossed palm trees. Harry’s sons added the palm trees in the 1970s as a tribute to their Dad and his favorite movie.
- In N Out had the first drive-thru in California which helped contribute to the car culture of that time period
Fan Favorite In N Out Secret Menu Items
- Animal-Style – for an animal-style burger they cook the patty in mustard and then top it with grilled onion, spread, and pickles. Spread is similar to thousand island dressing. You can also order animal-style fries which are the same minus the mustard.
- Protein Style – you can replace the buns with lettuce
- Well done fries – regular In N Out fries are a little too mushy for me so by ordering well done the fries come out crispy and golden.
- Neopolitan Shakes – get a mix of chocolate, vanilla & strawberry
Tips For Your First Visit to In N Out
- If you will be eating in your car they will give you a box and a lap mat which makes it so much easier.
- You can ask if they have any complimentary bumper stickers or paper hats
- Kids get free chocolate when it’s raining
- You can ask for spread to put on your fries at no extra cost
In N Out Freebies
Did you know that every time it rains children can get free hot chocolate from In N Out? Different libraries in California have partnered with In N Out to offer free burgers for children who read 5 books. Keep an eye out for a sign at your local library to know when this is happening.
In N Out Burger near LAX
View this post on Instagram
Another interesting In-N-Out location to visit is the one near LAX. The address is 9149 S Sepulveda Blvd. This location is super close to LAX which makes it easy to have it on your way in or out of the area. Plus, for locals & visitors alike, it is a super cool spot to see planes flying into the airport.
If you enjoy visiting nostalgic burger places you might be interested to check out the oldest existing McDonald’s in Downey.